It took me about 3 years to develop this recipe to get the balance of wet to dry just right.
This is my doubled recipe and can easily be cut in half.
- 8 c. oatmeal
- 2 c. Sunflower seeds (shelled)
- 2 c. almonds slivers
- 1 c. walnuts
- 1/3 c. wheat germ - skip for gluten free
- 2 T. cinnamon
- 1 T nutmeg
- **optional: dried fruit
- 1 c. oil (I use grape oil, but you can use regular canola/vegetable)
- 2 c. honey
- 1 c. water
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 T almond extract
Preheat oven to 275
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
Heat wet ingredients in a saucepan on medium until well dissolved.
Pour warm mixture into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
Spread onto two cookie sheets and heat in oven for 1.5 hours, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes.
Cool and then add 1 – 2 cup of raisins, craisins or your choice of dried fruit.
Store in airtight container for 3 weeks.
- For granola bars, line a cookie sheet with parchment, bake at 350 for 30 minutes with no stirring. Cool almost completely. Flip bars and parchment paper onto cutting surface, peel off parchment and cut into individual size servings.
- Serving suggestions: With yogurt and fruit for breakfast or a snack, for dessert over ice cream or layered with whiped cream and fruit as a parfait.
- Gift Ideas: Place granola in a jar, wrap with ribbon and attach recipe and serving suggestions. Wrap individual granola bars in decorative celophane, tie with ribbon and attach recipe and serving suggestions.